Skip to main content

Week 2: Mama Blanca’s Memoirs

 Hello blog readers,


The reading for this week was Mama Blanca’s Memoirs by Teresa de la Parra. As my first official blog post for this class, I was unsure of what to write about, but the foreword of the novel led me to have questions I wanted to rehash throughout this post. 


In the foreword, we are introduced to Mama Blanca and this young girl who ended up getting the memories after Mama Blanca’s death. This young girl then became the editor of the text as she and Mama Blanca became close friends, even though Mama Blanca was a much older woman, old enough to be her grandmother. Which made me question what made their relationship so special. This could be because the young girl truly enjoyed spending time with her, unlike her own kids. Mama Blanca and this young girl took walks together, played piano together, and Mama Blanca even passed down wisdom to the young girl with her memories and stories before giving her the manuscript.


This confused me as the novel was dedicated to Mama Blanca’s children and grandchildren, not the young girl specifically, but still, her kids did not get the manuscript. Why was that? Was it their judgment towards Mama Blancas social class or their history growing up? The text states that “it is dedicated to my children and grandchildren, but I know that if it came into their hands they would smile tenderly and say: One of Mama Blanca's whims, and they wouldn't even bother to open it. It was written for them, but I am leaving it to you. You read it if you want to, but don't show it to anybody”(12). Initiating that this manuscript was unique, but so was their relationship. Mama Blanca stated that “This is the portrait of my memory. I leave it in your hands. Keep it a few years more in my memory” (12). Memories were a majority of what we saw throughout the text, so it is interesting to have Mama Blanca mention it to the young girl as she leaves her life work to her.


The theme of memory was definitely a central theme throughout the novel. We were looking back on past moments through Blanca Nieves's childhood. We were taken through the stories from the child’s perspective. For example, how her mother treated her differently than her sisters due to her hair. Curly hair almost was published as a sin, which Blanca is still nostalgic about, as it is mentioned in various points of the text. 


Question: 

Overall, I found the foreword interesting, and I still wonder whether or not it was a betrayal for the girl to publish Mama Blanca’s work even after her death. Do you think it was justified for the young girl to publish Mama Blanca’s work to have her memory persist? Or was it a betrayal? 



Comments

  1. I address the issue of betrayal in my video lecture... did you find that helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you. These were just thoughts while reading the novel itself.

      Delete
  2. Hi Melika!
    I share your interests. I found myself very intrigued by the forward and the preface of the book - before I really knew which direction the editor/Blanca would take us in. So I'm glad you brought up these thoughts!
    I think it was certainly betrayal (because how could it not be when she is doing something specifically asked not to do), however the act in my eyes was perhaps one of the most moral and wise things she could do with what she had - given that we are here today being mystified yet drawn in by the fantastic memory-led storytelling of what otherwise would have "died with her".
    Thanks for bringing this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I thought the issue of betrayal was well captured in the text and in your post. I believe it has to do with generational differences concerning a clash of old and new ideas on privacy, class and memory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Distant Star by Roberto Balaño

  Hello Blog readers, This week I read Distant Star by Roberto Bolaño. This book was a relatively short novel; my copy consisted of 164 pages, so not that long of a read. However, it was very intriguing. The narration was enjoyable even though the narrator remained unnamed. There are two things I would like to mention in this blog post. Firstly, I wanted to mention the question Jon asks in his lecture about art, and secondly, I wanted to make a quick trip back to the notion of games and their importance within this class. As Jon mentions in the lecture, “Is what Carlos Wieder produce art? Or is it something else…” There was a lot to think about, and I honestly believe I can still be persuaded to change my mind, so feel free to argue with me if you disagree. However, I think photography is a form of art. Photography is a way that one can express themselves. Although personally, I paint on canvas with oil paint, I see photography, sculptures, literature, music, and much more as

The Beginning of Span 312C

Hello Everyone, My name is Melika Niki, and I am pleased to be starting this course to learn about Latin American Literature. I do not have a large amount of background knowledge on the subject, but I was persuaded into this course over other literature requirements at UBC. I expect this course to be informative yet engaging in different ways due to the learning style.  I can not wait to make new friends, have thoughtful conversations, and get to know everyone else over the course of this term. For those wanting to get to know me, let me introduce myself. I am a second-year student majoring in sociology. I am from North Vancouver but grew up in North Vancouver and Coquitlam. My family is originally from Iran, but I was born here in Vancouver. My hobbies include figure skating and snowboarding, but I also enjoy games like puzzles. I finished five puzzles over the winter break this year, which was one of my favourite indoor activities.  This week's lecture was primarily an introducti