Skip to main content

Week 5: Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

 Hello Blog readers, 

This week’s novel was Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges. Im not going to lie, I didn’t entirely understand what I was reading, but that is precisely what labyrinth means. As google defines, labyrinth is “a complicated irregular network of passages or paths in which it is difficult to find one’s way; a maze.” Thus, I acknowledge one of Borges’s goals was to confuse us and allow us to reanalyze what we know—to think again and try to put the pieces together as if they were a puzzle or maze. 


I know I was reading a bunch of short stories, but they didn’t appear to fit together at all. It was a bunch of jumping from one plot to another without a deeper connection between the work. However, I liked how each story was relatively short, so we read various pieces. After watching this week’s lecture video, I know Borges wanted to make his work interesting by being real and raw and that legacy and inheritance are important to Borges. However, I couldn’t grasp that myself without guidance from the lecture. 


To understand Borges’s beliefs on how writing should be shared and cited by others, I gave ‘Borges and I’ a reread. Borges is the novel’s author, but with this story, it is as if he is separating himself from the writer by titling the story ‘Borges and I’. Perceiving himself as different than ‘Borges’, like the ‘I’, is his inner identity, and it is someone else. As the book states, “I shall remain in Borges, not in myself (if it is true that I am someone), but recognize myself less in his books than in many others or in laborious strumming of a guitar” (246). This passage shows how he sees himself and considers himself different from Borges. This may be a bit confusing, but that is what the author wants. As Jon states in the lecture, “Borges is expert in the second look, asking us to think again, to reconsider what we think we know”, which is what we do with the short story Borges and I. I think this technic is quite interesting. However, it can complicate things, and we see this in the text when it says, “I do not know which of us has written this page” (247), as if Borges, himself, is also confused about which one is the real him. He wants to produce a text that is personal yet impersonal. If the work is too personal, a larger audience would be unable to relate to it. That’s why I think he separated himself from the writing so that others could share and cite it. This way, we can all look at the text and find connections to our own life, which in a way, makes writing better. 


Although I wasn’t the biggest fan of this read, I see how some people could enjoy it. It’s a bunch of simple short stories that you can pick up and read at any moment, and it is not too long that you lose yourself in the pages, making it hard to stop. You can take a break after each short story and not worry about what will happen in the next chapter, as they are all unrelated. My question for you is, did you enjoy this read? I have read a couple of people’s blogs, and I know the opinions are on a wide spectrum, and I can’t wait to discuss that in class. 


Comments

  1. One of the issues that have caught my attention the most is the difficulty to "enjoy" these readings. For some literary texts, sometimes we must be willing to be more open to the spectrum of reactions or affectations of literary texts. There are many reasons why we might find Borges weird, even unsympathetic. Is the "personal" aspect of Borges (as discussed in Mistral or Neruda) important to approach this reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This week’s novel"

    Not a novel! As you say elsewhere, it's a collection of short stories. How much do we expect stories in a collection to relate to each other? A novel has a unity, but does a collection of this sort have to have that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really did not enjoy this!! I had high hopes for the book because I thought the cover was really cool. A lot of comments and blogs mention a second reading of the stories, but I really don't think it's worth the work at this point. Even if I could gain more from a re-reading, the book took enough energy to get through the first time, I'm not doing it again. I am glad, as you said, that the book is broken down into short stories instead of one cohesive book, otherwise I would've been way more lost than I already am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar take on the title may mean. I found that the labyrinth acts as a metaphor for the intricateness of the reality he is trying to portray. Mainly the idea, that reality is comprised of an endless series of unpredictable twists and turns. To answer the discussion question, I did enjoy some of the short stories, mostly ‘The Circular Ruins’ and ‘Borges & I’. His styles really imaginative and the stories are pretty trippy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Distant Star by Roberto Balaño

  Hello Blog readers, This week I read Distant Star by Roberto Bolaño. This book was a relatively short novel; my copy consisted of 164 pages, so not that long of a read. However, it was very intriguing. The narration was enjoyable even though the narrator remained unnamed. There are two things I would like to mention in this blog post. Firstly, I wanted to mention the question Jon asks in his lecture about art, and secondly, I wanted to make a quick trip back to the notion of games and their importance within this class. As Jon mentions in the lecture, “Is what Carlos Wieder produce art? Or is it something else…” There was a lot to think about, and I honestly believe I can still be persuaded to change my mind, so feel free to argue with me if you disagree. However, I think photography is a form of art. Photography is a way that one can express themselves. Although personally, I paint on canvas with oil paint, I see photography, sculptures, literature, music, and much more as

Week 2: Mama Blanca’s Memoirs

  Hello blog readers, The reading for this week was Mama Blanca’s Memoirs by Teresa de la Parra. As my first official blog post for this class, I was unsure of what to write about, but the foreword of the novel led me to have questions I wanted to rehash throughout this post.  In the foreword, we are introduced to Mama Blanca and this young girl who ended up getting the memories after Mama Blanca’s death. This young girl then became the editor of the text as she and Mama Blanca became close friends, even though Mama Blanca was a much older woman, old enough to be her grandmother. Which made me question what made their relationship so special. This could be because the young girl truly enjoyed spending time with her, unlike her own kids. Mama Blanca and this young girl took walks together, played piano together, and Mama Blanca even passed down wisdom to the young girl with her memories and stories before giving her the manuscript. This confused me as the novel was dedicated

Week 4: Twenty Love Poems and A Song of Despair

  Hello blog readers, This week I chose to read Pablo Neruda’s ‘Twenty Love Poems and A Song of Despair. At first, I thought it was a beautiful and romantic read. I liked the storytelling narrative of the poems and how each poem guided us through the relationship from the poet’s eyes. For example, in the first poem, the poet is declaring his love to the woman, which at first glance, I found romantic. Then, by poem ten, the ‘lovers’ grow more distant from each other, which the poet mentions he is sad about. Finally, by poem 20, the relationship is over. The poet looks back on the relationship and mourns his journey to that point. Again, similarly to other novels we have read in this class thus far, I see themes of nostalgia as the poet says, “I no longer love her, that’s certain, but how I loved her” (49). The poems combined together have this story pattern through time, where these vivid descriptions take us through the journey of love and heartbreak—reminiscing the relationship wi