Skip to main content

Week 3: Cartucho - we all fall down

 Hello blog readers, 


    For this week, I chose to read Cartucho by Nellie Campobello. This novel was quite interesting as it was composed of a bunch of small stories. Written through the perspective of a child, the young girl's name I could not pick up on, but through snapshots, I understood she was a young child who lived with her Mama during the revolution


    The central theme of the novel is the revolution. We heard many stories of soldiers, generals, and men who were executed as if it was an ordinary everyday occurrence, which at the time it was. However, there was no emphasis on the horror of the revolution because it was framed through the eyes of a child. Instead, there was a lot of mention of many deaths. For instance, "the assault left more than three hundred dead in El Aguila alone" (p 26), and "more than three hundred men shot all at once, inside a barracks, is really quite extraordinary, the people said, but our young eyes found it quite natural" (p. 32). These quotes stuck out to me because the numerous deaths are shown not even to faze these children. For them, I think they saw it as a meaningless game. They don't understand the pain of death. All they can see is that it looks like fun, and when people said things like "when he wanted to have fun, he practiced target shooting at hats of men who walked by on the street" (p. 7), they imagined shooting to be fun—making war a game that was played by the adults, shooting, laughing, and drinking. Thus, they were eager to see the games be played, as the novel states, "We girls were eager to see the men fall" (p.28). 


    Although the children saw it as a meaningless game, all these men died for the revolution. The concept of death may not seem as permanent to a kid, but we all understand it. I believe the daughter did not talk about it with as much tragedy because she was accustomed to the violence as it was all she had ever known. She would see what happened but not process it the way her Mama or an adult would. As adults, we are more sensitive to this topic and are more likely to mourn the loss. However, it does not mean the kids will forget about it, as these moments have been engraved in their memories forever. We know this as the story does not take place chronologically but instead follows through the story with her memories. She explains things as she remembers them, not by the constraints of history. These memories will remain ingrained in her head for much longer than the immediate moment they happened. For example, we see the quote, "I saw the place where Jose Beltran died. I didn't know why, or when, but I would never forget it (p.40). 


    This novel overall was fascinating to read. I learned a new perspective on the revolution and observed the violence differently than I usually would because of the child's perspective. 

My question for everyone is, How do you think the book would differ if it took on another perspective, such as an adult or teenager? 

Comments

  1. "a meaningless game"

    I wonder... do games not have meanings? Should they? Perhaps the problem is more translating meaningfulness between games... It means a lot in (say) hockey that a puck goes into the net, but this is meaningless in (say) chess. To put this another way: when you are outside the game, it seems meaningless (why are those goes skating around on the ice like that?); when you are inside, everything has heightened importance.

    And is this not the same as a war or a revolution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melika,
    Thank you for your insightful post! I especially appreciate your observation of the revolution as a sort of game to the children; this is a perspective I hadn't tapped into, but you're right - the narrator manages to maintain a relatively light tone throughout the novel, despite the heavy subject matter she is discussing. To answer your question, I think an older perspective would mean losing the playfulness of the child narrator. A teenager, for instance, is ruled by hormones I assume would be majorly exacerbated by the horrors of a revolution, and an adult would be too aware of their surroundings to hold onto the naivety of the young narrator's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melika! I really enjoyed reading your blog post and I thought your ideas and insights were super interesting! Your point about how the girls saw it as a "meaningless" game sparked some thought. Although the girls see it as meaningless, I believe they think this because they do not understand the game and its rules. They are outside of the game and find no point in it because they have never been introduced to the game. Just like how Jon said throwing a puck in a net is meaningful in hockey but meaningless in chess. I think that if the author wrote her memories with the perspective of a teenager/young adult she would miss the importance of games and play. As a young adult I do not see things as games like children do. The plot would be told in a different timeline as well, because her memories would be even more distorted as time has gone by. The details of the events of guts, and shooting would also be seen as painful and not a game because a teenager has had time to grasp the universality of death and grief. It would be a totally different book I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Distant Star by Roberto Balaño

  Hello Blog readers, This week I read Distant Star by Roberto Bolaño. This book was a relatively short novel; my copy consisted of 164 pages, so not that long of a read. However, it was very intriguing. The narration was enjoyable even though the narrator remained unnamed. There are two things I would like to mention in this blog post. Firstly, I wanted to mention the question Jon asks in his lecture about art, and secondly, I wanted to make a quick trip back to the notion of games and their importance within this class. As Jon mentions in the lecture, “Is what Carlos Wieder produce art? Or is it something else…” There was a lot to think about, and I honestly believe I can still be persuaded to change my mind, so feel free to argue with me if you disagree. However, I think photography is a form of art. Photography is a way that one can express themselves. Although personally, I paint on canvas with oil paint, I see photography, sculptures, literature, music, and much more as

Week 2: Mama Blanca’s Memoirs

  Hello blog readers, The reading for this week was Mama Blanca’s Memoirs by Teresa de la Parra. As my first official blog post for this class, I was unsure of what to write about, but the foreword of the novel led me to have questions I wanted to rehash throughout this post.  In the foreword, we are introduced to Mama Blanca and this young girl who ended up getting the memories after Mama Blanca’s death. This young girl then became the editor of the text as she and Mama Blanca became close friends, even though Mama Blanca was a much older woman, old enough to be her grandmother. Which made me question what made their relationship so special. This could be because the young girl truly enjoyed spending time with her, unlike her own kids. Mama Blanca and this young girl took walks together, played piano together, and Mama Blanca even passed down wisdom to the young girl with her memories and stories before giving her the manuscript. This confused me as the novel was dedicated

Week 4: Twenty Love Poems and A Song of Despair

  Hello blog readers, This week I chose to read Pablo Neruda’s ‘Twenty Love Poems and A Song of Despair. At first, I thought it was a beautiful and romantic read. I liked the storytelling narrative of the poems and how each poem guided us through the relationship from the poet’s eyes. For example, in the first poem, the poet is declaring his love to the woman, which at first glance, I found romantic. Then, by poem ten, the ‘lovers’ grow more distant from each other, which the poet mentions he is sad about. Finally, by poem 20, the relationship is over. The poet looks back on the relationship and mourns his journey to that point. Again, similarly to other novels we have read in this class thus far, I see themes of nostalgia as the poet says, “I no longer love her, that’s certain, but how I loved her” (49). The poems combined together have this story pattern through time, where these vivid descriptions take us through the journey of love and heartbreak—reminiscing the relationship wi